Friday, March 30, 2012

Renaming a SQL server

I am installing the database component to MOM. I do not
believe my question will require any MOM knowledge, but
just pointing this out up front.
The MOM install dies with a message which says
(paraphrase) "this machine has had it's name changed.
please fix and rerun setup".
The machine has never had it's name changed. It *WAS*
upgraded from sql7, though, if thats important. This box
is sql2k and hums along every day without incident.
Still, I followed all the renaming documents I could get
my hands on. Everything appears AOK, and is still
working fine, however I get that message from MOM install
nonetheless.
Any tips and/or advice? I crossposted in the MOM
newsgroups, but I'm hoping this is something which is
just SQL specific..
Thanks in advance :)I suggest you ask this in a MOM group. (I assume you have fixed master..sysservers in SQL Server.)
Only the MOM people can answer to why MOM things that there was a rename and when you found out
where MOM get this info from, you can probably fix it.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"Jon" <forlornpotato@.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00af01c395ae$8564f4e0$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> I am installing the database component to MOM. I do not
> believe my question will require any MOM knowledge, but
> just pointing this out up front.
> The MOM install dies with a message which says
> (paraphrase) "this machine has had it's name changed.
> please fix and rerun setup".
> The machine has never had it's name changed. It *WAS*
> upgraded from sql7, though, if thats important. This box
> is sql2k and hums along every day without incident.
> Still, I followed all the renaming documents I could get
> my hands on. Everything appears AOK, and is still
> working fine, however I get that message from MOM install
> nonetheless.
> Any tips and/or advice? I crossposted in the MOM
> newsgroups, but I'm hoping this is something which is
> just SQL specific..
> Thanks in advance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment